• 58.7% of these deaths are due to
• 100% of these on-duty fatalities are
*2009 National Firefighter Fatality Summary, U.S. Fire Administration, November 2009 Report
Making sure you’ll be there when we need you most
Jeffrey L. Boone, M.D., started the BraveHeart Program in 2005 in response to the startling heart attack rates among active firefighters. BraveHeart is custom tailored to the high-intensity, high-stress work environment of firefighting.
The BraveHeart Program is a mobile, on-site screening that can evaluate 50 individuals per day for cardiovascular risk. The screening can be customized to fit the department’s budget. Because heart disease affects everyone, all other employees, spouses, friends, or relatives are welcome for testing at the same rate.
Dr. Boone is an internationally recognized expert on the effects of mental and physical stress on the heart, which led him to his work with firefighters and other high-stress populations, including law enforcement officers and professional athletes. In 2007, he was selected as one of the 160 Top Doctors in America by Men’sHealth Magazine, and listed as one of the 17 Top Cardiovascular Doctors in America for Men. The BraveHeart Program’s cutting-edge testing, combined with Dr. Boone’s unique stress expertise, make this program essential for firefighter wellness.
“The combination of tests in the BraveHeart screening resulted in the detection of some potential problems before they became critical. We feel that this may prolong the careers of firefighters and lower the incidence of cardiac related line-of-duty deaths.”
– Chief Dan Qualman, Fire Chief, South Metro Fire Rescue Authority*
“In these tough economic times, firefighters are retiring later and later. Programs like BraveHeart make sure our firefighters stay healthier longer.”
– Chief Bill Work, Westminster Fire Department
“The health of our firefighters is a priority to our department and our community. Dr. Boone’s BraveHeart Program opened our eyes to a number of potential risk factors among our first responders.”
– Bill Larson, EMS Director, South Metro Fire Rescue, NFL Alumni
(Green Bay Packers, Denver Broncos)
BraveHeart Screenings Performed
• South Metro Fire Rescue Authority
• Westminster Fire Department
• Denver Sheriff Department
• Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office
• All Employees of Douglas County
• Arapahoe County District Attorney’s Office
• Red, White & Blue Fire District
• Mountain View Fire District
• Northeast Teller County Fire Protection District
• Air Force Academy Fire & Emergency Services
• Fairmount Fire Protection District
• Jackson 105 Fire Department
• Artesia Fire Department
• Artesia Police Department
Call (303) 762-0710 for a Preliminary Consultation with one of our Project Managers to see how the BraveHeart Program can fit the needs of your department. We look forward to hearing from you.